A Professional Institution is an organisation whose members are all professionals in their field of expertise. A professional institution has a number of functions, which include:
- Providing support to professionals who are serious about continuing their professional development through learning opportunities.
- Providing a network for professionals to meet and discuss their field of expertise.
- Supplying a code of conduct to the professionals to guide their work and behaviour.
- Providing career support for students, graduates and professionals already working in the field.
When professionals register with a professional institution, they gain a lot of respect from employers, because it shows that they have achieved a significant level of training and experience that is approved by the professional institution.
List of Professional Institutions in South Africa
Here’s a list of Professional Institutions in South Africa:
- South African Institute of Professional Accountants (SAIPA)
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
- Exercise Training Academy (ETA)
- Strategic Investigation and Seminars (SIS)
- South African Institute of Tax Professionals (SAIT)
- Institute of Information Technology Professional South Africa (IITPSA)
- South African Institute of Financial Markets (SAIFM)
- Southern African Institute for Business Accountants (SAIBA)
- Institute for People Management (IPM)
- Insurance Institute of South Africa (IISA)
- Chartered Secretaries Southern Africa (CSSA)
- Compliance Institute Southern Africa
- South African Institute of Draughting
- The Institute of Bankers in South Africa (IOB)
- Southern African Institute of Architects (SAIA)
- The Institute of Internal Auditors South Africa (IIASA)
- The South African Translators Institute (SATI)
- South African Institute of Electrical Engineers (SAIEE)
- Investment Industry Institute
- The Institute of Credit Management of South Africa
- Southern African Institute of Forestry (SAIF)
- The Institute of Mine Surveyors of South Africa (IMS)
- The Institution of Certified Mechanical and Electrical Engineers South Africa (ICMEESA)
- The Institute of Risk Management South Africa (IRMSA)
- South African Institute of Security
- Financial Planning Institute of Southern Africa (FPI)
- Institute of Directors Southern Africa (IoDSA)
- Southern African Institute of International Affairs (SAIIA)
- Public Affairs Research Institute (PARI)
- National Metrology Institute of South Africa (NMISA)
- South African National Energy Development Institute (SANEDI)
- The South African Chemical Institute (SACI)
- National Research Foundation (NRF)
- African Institution for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS)
- Public Relations Institute of South Africa (PRISA)
If you would like to view a list of colleges that offer Professional Institute courses, click on the button below.